What is Research?
7u彩票网址Research is the aim, the inspiration, and the heart of all learning. Not only is it a vital key for student success, it is also the method of active learning for an enriched undergraduate experience.
Undergraduate research creates opportunities for hands-on, active learning that takes
students beyond the classroom and introduces them to the global community of scholars.
At the University of Alaska Anchorage, students are encouraged to participate in the
research endeavors of a faculty member, or to facilitate research on a project of
their own design.
Examples of research and creative activities vary according to discipline and in the past have included:
- The study of immigrant law reform
- The effects of heading the ball in soccer
- Library research with primary and secondary sources
- The study of argument structures
- Multimedia galleries
- Senior theses
- Laboratory experiments
- and much more...
Alaska EPSCoR and UAA undergraduate research grant recipient Lorraine Perez Castillo and faculty mentor Jocelyn Krebs.
Why Participate in Undergraduate Research?
7u彩票网址Engaging in research activity as an undergraduate provides students with the opportunity to:
- apply classroom learning to real-life situations
- anticipate problems and generate solutions
- work one on one with faculty mentors
- collaborate with faculty and community organizations
- be involved as part of a research team
- study something of personal interest and strengthen personal knowledge
- further develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and presentation skills
- integrate research as a component of a course of study
- prepare for graduate study or entry into the workforce